PlayStation®Network > Signing up for PlayStation®Network
Signing up for PlayStation®Network
To use this feature, you may be required to update the system software.
After you have created a PlayStation®Network account, you can do online shopping at (PlayStation®Store), join in chat under (Friends) or use various online services from PlayStation®Network. Select (Sign Up for PlayStation®Network) under (PlayStation®Network), and then follow the on-screen instructions to create an account.
Main items required to create an account
|Personal information||Enter information for the registered user, including day, month and year of birth, and the user's name and address.|
|Master account / sub account||There are two types of PlayStation®Network accounts: master accounts and sub accounts.
The standard account for using PlayStation®Network. A master account can be created by a registered user of a specified age or older. Master account holders can set certain usage conditions on associated sub accounts.
Users who do not meet the eligibility requirements for a master account in their region can only use a sub account. Sub account holders cannot create wallets but can make use of the wallet for the associated master account to pay for products and services. A sub account cannot be created if an associated master account does not exist.
Eligibility requirements for master accounts and sub accounts vary depending on the country or region of residence. For details, visit the SCE Web site for your region.
|Sign-In ID (E-mail Address)||Register an ID to use when signing in to PlayStation®Network. Use a valid e-mail address that can be used to receive confirmation messages in cases such as when making a purchase under (PlayStation®Store).|
Create a password according to the following:
|Security Question||Select a security question to use when resetting a forgotten password.|
Register a name that will be publicly displayed in PlayStation®Network. You cannot change your online ID after it has been created. Create your online ID according to the following:
- Depending on the age of a minor, a PC is required to create the sub account. During the account creation process, an e-mail is sent to the e-mail address associated with the master account holder's sign-in ID. Follow the instructions in the e-mail to complete the registration on a PC.
- To sign in to PlayStation®Network using the sub account that was created, you must associate the account with a User who will log in to the PS3™ system. Refer to [Using an existing account] under (PlayStation®Network) on this guide.
- Your sign-in ID (e-mail address) and password will not be publicly displayed. Be careful not to share this information with others.
- You can create only one account per one User on the PS3™ system. To create additional accounts, go to (Users) and create additional Users.
- For details on the handling of personal information related to users, visit the SCE Web site for your region.
- Access to PlayStation®Network requires broadband Internet service. Note that dial-up connectivity is not supported.
- PlayStation®Network is only available in certain regions and languages. For details, contact the technical support line for your region.
- (Sign Up for PlayStation®Network) is displayed only if a PlayStation®Network account has not been created.