Back up data saved on the hard disk to storage media or a USB mass storage device, or restore data that has been backed up.
|Back Up||Back up data on the hard disk to storage media or a USB mass storage device.|
|Restore||Restore data that has been backed up on storage media or a USB device to the hard disk.|
|Delete Backup Data||Delete data that has been backed up on storage media or a USB mass storage device.|
You cannot back up your trophy information using the backup utility feature. If you want to save trophy information, it is recommended that you create a PlayStation®Network account and save the information on the PlayStation®Network server. To back up your trophy information on the PlayStation®Network server, select (Game) > (Trophy Collection), press the button, and then select [Sync with Server] from the options menu.
- Data can be backed up on Memory Stick™, SD Memory Card, CompactFlash®, and USB mass storage devices. An appropriate USB adaptor (not included) is required to use storage media with some models of the PS3™ system. Disc media such as CD-R cannot be used.
- A USB hard disk can also be used to back up data and will appear under the icon when connected. Note however that the disk must be formatted in the FAT32 file system to be recognized by the PS3™ system.
- Backed up data will be saved in the [PS3] - [EXPORT] - [BACKUP] folder. The folders are created automatically.
- If you change the folder or file name of backed up data, you may not be able to restore the data.
- If you perform any of the following operations after backing up, copyright-protected video files in the backup data may not restore correctly.
- - Format the hard disk
- - Restore the PS3™ system
- - Move copyright-protected video
- - Download copyright-protected video
- - Play copyright-protected video that has a time restriction for the first time
- If you back up data on a PS3™ system and then transfer data to another PS3™ system using the data transfer utility, copy-prohibited saved data that is included in the backup data cannot be restored on either system.
- Some types of backed up data can be restored on another PS3™ system. The types of data that can be restored on another system are as follows:
- - Saved data from PlayStation®3 format software *1
- - Image files under (Photo)
- - Music files under (Music) *2
- - Video files under (Video) *2
- - Bookmarks added under (Internet Browser)
- - Terms that were added using (Settings) > (System Settings) > [Add/Edit Term], or predictive terms that were "learned" by the on-screen keyboard
- In some cases, you may not be able to use the Backup Utility feature to back up or restore the system correctly. It is recommended that you always copy or move important data to storage media in order to independently back up your data.
|*1||Copy-protected data cannot be restored. Also, saved data that has been restored may not be usable in some games.|
|*2||Does not include copyright-protected data.|