Video > Backing up or restoring video files
Backing up or restoring video files
Use the PS3™ system's backup feature to selectively back up content that was downloaded from the Video Store of PlayStation®Store to storage media. You can restore files that you backed up using this feature to the same PS3™ system.
Backing up a video file
Connect storage media to the PS3™ system. Select the icon of the content that you want to back up. Press the button, and then select [Back up] from the options menu. The (Backup Data Utility) folder will automatically be created on the storage media and the content will be saved.
- This feature can be used to back up data on Memory Stick™, SD Memory Card, Compact Flash®, and USB mass storage devices. An appropriate USB adaptor (not included) is required to use storage media with some models of the PS3™ system. Disc media such as CD-R cannot be used.
- A USB hard disk can also be used to back up data. Note however that the disk must be formatted as a FAT32 file system to be recognized by the PS3™ system. A hard disk that is formatted as NTFS (NT file system) cannot be recognized by the PS3™ system.
- Backed up content cannot be played from storage media. To play the content you must first restore it to the PS3™ system's hard disk.
Restoring a video file that you backed up
Content that was backed up to storage media can be restored to the PS3™ system.
Connect the storage media that contains the backed up content to the PS3™ system.
Select the storage media icon under (Video).
Select the content that you want to restore from (Backup Data Utility), and then press the button.
- If the folder name or file name of backed up data has been changed, you may not be able to restore that content.
- If you perform any of the following operations after backing up content, the content may not be restored correctly.
- - Format the hard disk
- - Restore the PS3™ system
- In some cases, you may not be able to use the backup feature to back up or restore content on the system correctly.