Creating an account (signing up)
To use this feature, you must maintain your system to always have the latest version of the system software installed.
Once you create a PLAYSTATION®Network account, you can do voice / video chat under (Friends) or use various online services from PLAYSTATION®Network. Select (Sign Up for PLAYSTATION®Network) under (Friends) in the home menu, and then follow the on-screen instructions to create an account.
Main items required to create an account
|Personal information||Enter the registered user's name / address / birth year, month, day.|
|Master account / sub account||There are two types of PLAYSTATION®Network accounts: master accounts and sub accounts.
The standard account for using PLAYSTATION®Network. A master account can be created by a registered user of a specified age or older. Master account holders can adjust settings such as monthly spending limits or restrictions on voice / video chat for associated sub accounts.
Accounts that can be used by anyone, including minors. Sub accounts can be monitored by the associated master account holder. Sub account holders cannot create wallets but can make use of the wallet for the associated master account to pay for products and services. A sub account cannot be created if an associated master account does not exist.
Eligibility requirements for master accounts and sub accounts vary depending on the country or region of residence. For details, visit the SCE Web site for your region.
|Sign-In ID (Email Address)||Register an ID to use when signing in to PLAYSTATION®Network. Use a valid email address that can be used to receive confirmation messages such as when making a purchase under (PLAYSTATION®Store).|
|Security Question||Select a security question to use when resetting a forgotten password.|
Create a password according to the following:
|Online ID||Register a name that will be publicly displayed in PLAYSTATION®Network. The online ID can be 3 to 16 characters in length and can include alphabet letters and numbers. The ID is used to distinguish users on PLAYSTATION®Network. After it has been created, it cannot be changed.|
|Profile||The profile is displayed in PLAYSTATION®Network. You can add information such as a comment displayed with your avatar (icon) and the languages you are able to communicate in.|
|Wallet||Register payment information to be used when purchasing services on PLAYSTATION®Network, such as under (PLAYSTATION®Store).|
|Avatar||Register an avatar (icon) for yourself that will be publicly displayed under (Friends).|
- A sub account for a minor age 12 and under is created by the master account holder. During the account creation process, an email is sent to the email address associated with the master account holder's sign-in ID. Follow the instructions in the email to complete the registration on a PC.
- Your sign-in ID (email address) and password will not be publicly displayed. Be careful not to share this information with others.
- You can create only one account per User. To create additional accounts, go to (Users) and create additional Users.
- For details on the handling of personal information related to users, visit the SCE Web site for your region.
- Access to PLAYSTATION®Network requires broadband Internet service. Note that dial-up connectivity is not supported.
Associating the PLAYSTATION®Network account with a User
When a master account holder creates a sub account, the newly created account must be associated with a User on the PS3™ system. Log in as the User that will use the sub account, and then select (Sign Up for PLAYSTATION®Network) under (Friends). From the screen that is displayed, select [No, I will use an existing account]. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the operation.