Starting or quitting voice / video chat
To use this feature, you may be required to update the system software.
You can do voice / video chat with people on your Friends list. To do voice chat, you will need an audio input / output device (such as a headset, sold separately). To chat with video, you will also need a USB camera (sold separately).
Starting voice / video chat
Select (Friends) > (Start New Chat).
Select (Voice/Video Chat).
Select (Invite a Friend) from the menu that is displayed on the screen.
Type a message, and then select [Send].
If the person joins the chat, his or her image will be displayed and the voice / video chat will begin.
- The PS3™ system supports voice / video chat. Additional chat options, such as in-game chat, may be available through game software. For details, refer to the instructions supplied with the software in use.
- You must be signed in to PlayStation®Network to chat.
- Although you can invite multiple Friends to chat, avatars are displayed in the chat room only for the first five Friends whom you selected on the screen.
- Up to six people can join a chat room.
- The voice / video chat feature cannot be used if restrictions on its use are set. For information about parental control settings, see [About the XMB™ menu] > [Using the parental control settings] in this guide.
- You can use a compatible USB headset / Bluetooth® headset / EyeToy™ USB camera / PlayStation®Eye / USB camera compliant with USB video class (UVC) on the PS3™ system.
- When connecting a USB camera using a USB hub, use a hub that supports USB 2.0. If a hub that does not support USB 2.0 is used, image degradation may occur or the image may not be displayed.
- For information on supported peripherals and usage instructions, contact the retailer where the peripherals are sold.
Leaving the chat room (quitting voice / video chat)
During a chat, select (Leave) from the control panel.
If the person who initiated the voice / video chat leaves, the chat room will close.