Settings > Video Settings
Adjust the playback settings for BDs (Blu-ray Disc), DVDs or video files.
BD - Menu Language
Set the menu language for BDs.
BD - Audio Language
Set the audio language for BDs.
BD - Subtitle Language
Set the subtitle language for BDs.
BD - Internet Connection
Select whether or not your PS3™ system connects to the Internet during BD playback. This setting applies only to BD that support Profile 2.0 (BD-LIVE).
|Confirm||Set your system to prompt for confirmation before connecting to the Internet.|
|Allow||Set to allow your system to connect to the Internet without confirmation.|
DVD - Menu Language
Set the menu language for DVDs.
DVD - Audio Language
Set the audio language for DVDs.
DVD - Subtitle Language
Set the subtitle language for DVDs.
Set whether or not to display closed captions. This setting is available only on PS3™ systems sold in North America.
|Off||Set to not display closed captions|
|On||Set to display closed captions|
To display closed captions, press the button while playing back content under (Video) and select [Subtitle Options] from the control panel.
BD / DVD - Cinema Conversion
Set the playback method of video content recorded in interlace format. Video content can include video material (shows or sports programming on TV), film material (movies) or animation material (cartoon programming on TV). Set for the type of video content to be played. In most cases, set to [Automatic].
|Automatic||Set to detect the difference between video, film and animation material automatically and to select the best conversion mode for each material.|
|Video||Always play in video material conversion mode.
Set when [Automatic] does not improve picture quality.
DVD - Wide Display
Set the size of the on-screen image for DVDs. This setting is active only when the TV type is set to [4:3] under (Settings) > (Display Settings) > [Video Output Settings].
|Pan and Scan||Set to display the image to fill the TV screen by cutting off portions at the top and bottom or left and right sides of the image.|
|Letterbox||Set to display the image in its original proportions with black margins at the top and bottom of the image.|
BD / DVD - Upscaler
Adjust settings for upscaled output when playing a BD or a DVD. Upscaling is a technique that can be used to enable video content to be converted to display in higher resolution than the original. By enabling upscaled output, video content can be played in higher resolution.
|Off||Set to disable upscaled output.|
|Double Scale*1||Set to upscale and display with double horizontal and vertical dimensions.|
|Normal||Set to upscale and display at a size that matches the screen size.|
|Full Screen*2||Set to upscale and display at full screen by stretching the image.|
This option can only be used when the video being played is in SD resolution and the video output setting of the PS3™ system is set to 1080p or 1080i.
The proportions of the video content may be changed for some content.
- To use this feature, a TV that is compatible with HD input and output must be connected using an HDMI or component AV cable. Also, the video output setting of the PS3™ system must be set to 1080p, 1080i, or 720p.
- When playing copyright-protected DVD content such as commercially available DVD-Video, an HDMI cable is required to upscale the video content.
- Blu-ray Discs recorded in BDMV formats, such as commercially available Blu-ray video software (BD-ROM), are always played in the [Normal] mode.
- 3D image is output in the original resolution.
- If image quality is reduced or the image does not look right when upscaled, set this option to [Off].
BD / DVD - Video Output Format (HDMI)
Set the video output format to use when playing a BD or DVD. Set this option when the system is connected to a TV using an HDMI cable. Adjust the settings as necessary for the TV in use.
|Automatic||Set to automatically select the best video output format for the TV in use.|
|RGB||Set to output in RGB.|
|Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr||Set to output in Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr.|
1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI)
Set whether to use 1080p 24 Hz video output mode for output of BD video. Set this option when the system is connected to a TV using an HDMI cable. Adjust the settings as necessary for the TV in use.
|Automatic||Set to automatically switch the video output mode to match the TV that is connected.|
|Off||Set to output at the maximum resolution that has been selected in the video output settings of the PS3™ system. (The video output will not be displayed at 1080p 24 Hz.)|
|On||Set to output BD video that was recorded at 1080p 24 Hz directly at a resolution of 1080p 24 Hz.|
- The TV or AV amplifier (receiver) in use must support 1080p 24 Hz video mode. For details, refer to the instructions supplied with the device.
- The Blu-ray Disc (BD) that is to be played must also support 1080p 24 Hz video mode. In most cases, video is recorded at 1080p 24 Hz resolution for commercially available BD video software (BD-ROMs) for which "1080p" is displayed as the recording mode.
- If the video output settings do not match the TV in use, video may not be displayed on the screen when the resolution changes. However, the setting will automatically reset to the original resolution after a short while. If nothing is displayed on the screen for more than 30 seconds, turn off the system, and then turn it on again.
- If video does not display correctly when [Automatic] or [On] is selected, set this option to [Off].
BD / DVD - Dynamic Range Control
Enable or disable your PS3™ system's dynamic range control feature when playing a BD or DVD containing audio recorded in Dolby audio (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD). This setting is for use only when Linear PCM audio format is selected as the audio output format.
|Automatic||Turns the feature on or off automatically.|
|Off||Disables dynamic range control.|
|On||Enables dynamic range control.|
- When outputting audio via an HDMI cable, you must select [Linear PCM] under (Settings) > (Video Settings) > [BD / DVD - Audio Output Format (HDMI)] to use this feature.
- When outputting audio via an optical digital cable, you must do the following to use this feature:
- - For BD playback: select [Linear PCM] under (Settings) > (Video Settings) > [BD - Audio Output Format (Optical Digital)].
- - For DVD playback: deselect [Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch.] under (Settings) > (Sound Settings) > [Audio Output Settings] > [Optical Digital].
BD / DVD - Audio Output Format (HDMI)
Set the audio output format to use when playing a BD or DVD containing audio recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS format. This setting is used when an audio output device is connected to the system via an HDMI cable.
|Bitstream||Set to output audio with the original digital signal prioritized.|
|Linear PCM||Set to output audio by converting the digital signal to Linear PCM format.|
If [Bitstream] is selected, some portions of the audio content may not be output.
BD - Audio Output Format (Optical Digital)
Set the audio output format to use when playing a BD containing audio recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS format. This setting is used when an audio output device is connected to the system via a digital optical cable.
|Bitstream (Direct)||Set to output audio with the original digital signal prioritized.|
|Bitstream (Mix)||Set to output audio that has been mixed with sound effects such as button sounds and then converted to bitstream format.|
|Linear PCM||Set to output audio by converting the digital signal to Linear PCM format.|
- If [Bitstream (Direct)] is selected, some portions of the audio content may not be output.
- If [Bitstream (Mix)] is selected, audio will be output in Bitstream (Direct) while Blu-ray 3D™ content is being played.
System Storage - Content Audio Language
Set the audio language for content saved in the system storage.
Depending on the content, you may not be able to specify the audio language.
System Storage - Content Subtitle Language
Set the subtitle language for content saved in the system storage.
Depending on the content, you may not be able to specify the subtitle language.
Set the PS3™ system to sequentially play multiple videos that are saved in the system storage or storage media.
|Off||Set to not play videos sequentially.|
|On||Set to play videos sequentially.|
This feature is not available for some video content types, such as content with parental control restrictions or rental content with a restricted playback period that is downloaded from PlayStation®Store. The PS3™ system will skip these content types to play the next video in the sequence.
50 Hz Video Output
This option is only available for PS3™ systems sold in Europe. Set this option when you want to use the 50 Hz output of HD resolution content that is recorded at 50 Hz. This setting applies only to video content that is saved in the system storage or storage media.
|Automatic||Adjust the playback method to use the PS3™ output frequency (59.94 Hz), regardless of the frequency used to record the content.|
|50 Hz||Play the video content at either 50 Hz or 59.94 Hz frequency based on the frequency used to record the content.|
When this option is set to [50 Hz], the screen display may flash or be distorted each time the frequency changes.