Data Transfer Utility
You can now transfer (copy or move) data that is saved in the system storage of one PS3™ system to the system storage of another PS3™ system using an Ethernet cable.
- When you perform this operation, all data that is stored on the PS3™ system that will receive the data (the "destination system”) will be deleted.
- Deleted data cannot be restored, so be careful not to accidentally delete important data. Data loss or corruption is the responsibility of the user.
- Some types of data may not be transferrable. Select here for details.
Preparing the systems to transfer data
Before starting the data transfer operation, you must perform the following steps.
Update the system software of both PS3™ systems to the latest version.
Prepare the PS3™ system that will send the data (the "source system").
- Create a Sony Entertainment Network account if a user does not have an account.
- - Select (PlayStation™Network) > (Sign Up), and then follow the on-screen instructions to create an account.
- Deactivate the PS3™ system if the data to be transferred contains content that was purchased from PlayStation®Store.
- - Select (PlayStation™Network) > (Account Management) > (System Activation).
- Back up, or "sync", trophy information on the PS3™ system with the PSNSM server if you want to transfer trophy information.
- - Sign in to PSNSM, and then select (PlayStation™Network) > (Trophy Collection).
- Back up your profile information and stages you created in LittleBigPlanet™ to your saved game. You can then use the data that was backed up when playing LittleBigPlanet™ on the destination PS3™ system.
The following restrictions apply if you perform the data transfer operation without creating an account:
- You may not be able to use the saved data on the destination PS3™ system.
- You may no longer be able to earn trophies using the saved data that you transferred.
- Trophy information is not transferred.
Turn off both PS3™ systems, and then perform the following steps. If the transferred data is saved game data that is copy-prohibited or data that is copyright-protected, it will be moved to the destination PS3™ system and deleted from the source PS3™ system.
Using an Ethernet cable, make a direct connection between the two PS3™ systems.
Connect the PS3™ systems to different video input connectors on the TV.
Turn on the TV, and then turn on the PS3™ systems.
On the source PS3™ system, select (Settings) > (System Settings) > [Data Transfer Utility].
Select [1. Transfer data from this system to the other PS3™ system.].
If you did not complete the preparation steps described earlier, follow the on-screen instructions to complete these steps.
When the PS3™ system is on standby to begin the data transfer, use the TV remote control to switch the video input to display the screen of the destination PS3™ system.
On the destination PS3™ system, select (Settings) > (System Settings) > [Data Transfer Utility].
Select [2. Transfer data from the other PS3™ system to this system.]
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the operation.
- After the data transfer operation has been completed, you can turn off the source PS3™ system. Set the TV to display the screen of the source PS3™ system, and then select (Users) > (Turn Off System).
- If content that was downloaded from PlayStation®Store was transferred as part of this operation, you must activate the destination PS3™ system before you can use the data. Log in to the PS3™ system as the user who owns the content, and then select (PlayStation™Network) > (Account Management) > (System Activation) to activate the system.
Limitations of the data transfer utility
Some types of data cannot be transferred using the data transfer utility, and some types of data can be transferred but not played on the destination PS3™ system.
For the latest information, visit the SIE Web site for your region. The following types of data are not transferrable:
- Video content that has been downloaded as a rental from PlayStation®Store (file type: MNV)
- Tracks (including "songpacks") for the SingStar™ software that have been saved in the system storage of the PS3™ system
- Copyright-protected video files (file types: MGV and ETS)
- Video files that are compatible with the DivX® VOD (Video On Demand) service
- The following PlayStation®2 format software titles, if they are installed in the system storage of the PS3™ system:
- - [Nobunaga's Ambition Online] and [Expansion Packs]
- - [FINAL FANTASY XI] and [Expansion Discs]
- - [SOCOM II: U.S. NAVY SEALs] and [Related discs included with OPM* Issue 87, OPM* Issue 88, OPM* Issue 89, OPM* Issue 90]
- - SOCOM 3: U.S. NAVY SEALs
- - SOCOM: U.S. NAVY SEALs Combined Assault
For the following data types, you must perform some additional steps after completing the data transfer to be able to use the data:
- - When you start the game for the first time after the data transfer operation, an error message will be displayed and you will not be able to play the game. To play the game, download and install the game again.
- Saved data for Ghostbusters™ and Ghostbusters™: The Video Game
- - The saved game will not be recognized when you start the game for the first time after the data transfer operation. To use the saved data, quit the game, and then start the game again.
Official PlayStation Magazine
Some software titles may not be sold in some regions.