Add users of your PS4™ system or other players to your family. When you set up your family, you can customise parental controls for each child in your family, allowing them to use your PS4™ system safely.
- Conditions for the use of family features vary by country or region. For details, visit the customer support website for your country or region.
- You can configure parental controls from your PC or smartphone.
- You can also set parental controls for users other than family members, if they have never signed in to PlayStation™Network. Select (Settings) > [Parental Controls/Family Management], and then from [Users on This PS4], select the user that you want to set parental controls for.
The family manager is an adult user who can add and manage family members.
Select (Settings) > [Parental Controls/Family Management] > [Family Management], and then follow the on-screen instructions to enter your sign in information. Select [Set Up Now], and then follow the on-screen instructions to add family members.
- A user can be in only one family.
- You can create new users and add them as family members. If a user is a child, depending on the child’s age, a message may appear asking if you want to allow your child to join PlayStation™Network. You can set parental controls before allowing your child to join PlayStation™Network.
Appointing a Parent/Guardian
As the family manager, you can appoint another adult as a parent or guardian.
Select (Settings) > [Parental Controls/Family Management] > [Family Management], and then follow the on-screen instructions to enter your sign-in information. Select an adult family member that you want to appoint, and then select the checkbox for [Parent/Guardian].
Select (Settings) > [Parental Controls/Family Management] > [Family Management], and then follow the on-screen instructions to enter your sign-in information. Select a family member to view or change the following settings.
Family Member Information
View a family member’s account information. After a family member signs in to PlayStation™Network, you can view information such as their sign-in ID.
Remove from Your Family
If the selected member is a parent or guardian, and you remove them from your family, they can no longer set parental controls. This setting is available only when the family manager chooses an adult family member to remove.
After you leave the family, you can create your own family or join another one. This setting is available only when adult family members choose themselves to leave the family.
Family managers cannot leave their family.
This setting is available only when family managers and parents or guardians choose a child family member. For details on available parental controls, see “Parental control options”.
Change the password your child uses to sign in to PlayStation™Network. This setting is available only when family managers choose a child family member.
Joining PlayStation Network
Withdraw permission for a family member to join PlayStation™Network. You must do this before the family member signs in for the first time. This setting is available only when family managers choose a family member who has never signed into PlayStation™Network.
Delete User Profile
When you delete a user profile, data managed by that user on your PS4™ system such as saved data, screenshots, and video clips will also be deleted. This setting is available only when family managers choose a family member who has never signed in to PlayStation™Network.
Settings available vary depending on the country or region, or the status of your child’s account. For details, visit the customer support website for your country or region.
Communicating with Other Players
Use this setting to restrict PlayStation™Network communication features.
- Joining a chat in a game.
- Sending and receiving messages in games. (This setting does not apply to messages with preset phrases that cannot be edited by players.)
- Joining a (Party).
- Sending and receiving messages in (Messages).
- Displaying and entering comments for Friend requests and game invitations.
Viewing Content Created by Other Players
Use this setting to restrict viewing of player-created content and sharing of content by your child over PlayStation™Network. Some examples of player-generated content are as follows.
- Video clips (videos of gameplay)
- Broadcasts (streamed gameplay)
- Content that users can create in games
- Text that users can enter freely, such as comments about activities and self-introductions in users' profiles
Age Filtering for Online Content
Restrict access to online game features and hide games and content in PlayStation™Store based on your child’s age.
Monthly Spending Limit
Set the maximum amount of money that each child can spend per month in PlayStation™Store.
Age Level for Games
The combination of the parental control level you set for each child on your PS4™ system and the parental control level for the game limits what games can be played. For example, if you want to restrict use of a game with a parental control level of "4", set your PS4™ system's parental control level one number lower to "3". Setting the parental control level on your PS4™ system to "3" prohibits users from playing any games with a level of "4" or higher.
In addition to [Allowed], there are 11 parental control levels. The lower the parental control number, the tighter the restriction. The default setting is "9".
You can check parental control levels of games in either of the following ways.
- Games on discs are sold in packaging that is labelled with rating level information. To understand how game rating levels correspond to parental control levels, see "Combinations of game rating labels and parental control levels".
- To view the parental control level for a game on screen, select the game in the content area, press the OPTIONS button, and then select [Information]. When a game has age restrictions, the parental control level will appear in the [Parental Control] field.
Age Level for Blu-ray Disc™ and DVD Videos
Restrict playback of Blu-ray Disc™ or DVD videos that have age limitations.
- Blu-ray Disc™
The default setting is [Allowed]. In addition to [Allowed], you can select a specific age. Select a lower age to tighten the restriction.
The default setting is [Allowed]. In addition to [Allowed], you can choose from 8 levels. Select a lower level to tighten the restriction.
- Country or Region for Parental Control
Select the country or region for the disc's parental control restriction. The default setting is [United States]. It is usually not necessary to change this setting.
Use of PlayStation VR
Restrict use of the VR headset.
PS VR is not for use by children under age 12.
Use of Internet Browser
Use this setting to prevent (Internet Browser) from starting. The default setting is [Allowed].