Video > Copying or moving video files
Copying or moving video files
Copy video files saved on storage media to the hard disk or copy or move imported files from the hard disk to storage media. With the file you want to import or copy selected, press the button, and then select ［Copy］ or [Move] from the options menu. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the operation.
Differences between copying and moving
The operation you can perform varies depending on the type of file. Copy-protected files can only be moved. If a file is moved, it will no longer exist in the original save location.
|Types of video files||Supported operations||Save locations|
|Video files without copyright protection||Copying||
|Video files with copyright protection
(File types: MGV, ETS and others)
|Purchased video content (file type: MNV) recorded in SD resolution that was downloaded from PlayStation®Store||Copying||
|Rental video content (file type: MNV) recorded in SD resolution that was downloaded from PlayStation®Store||Moving|
Including Memory Stick PRO-HG™ and Memory Stick Micro™
- Paid content (file type: MNV) recorded in HD resolution that was downloaded from PlayStation®Store cannot be copied or moved, but can be selectively backed up. To selectively back up contents downloaded from the Video Store of PlayStation®Store, use the PS3™ system's backup feature. For more information, see (Video) > [Backing up or restoring video files] in this guide.
- When copying or moving video files that have parental control restrictions, you must enter a password. You can set the password in [Change Password] under (Settings) > (Security Settings).
- Depending on the device in use, some copied files may not be playable.
- Depending on the model of PS3™ system in use, an appropriate USB adaptor (not included) may be required to use storage media. Also, when moving video files to Memory Stick PRO™ media, a USB device that supports Memory Stick™ media's copyright-protection features such as the PSP™ system or MSAC-US40 (a Sony product) is required.
- When using Memory Stick Micro™ media with a PS3™ system that is equipped with a Memory Stick™ slot, you must use the media with a Memory Stick™ M2 Duo Adaptor.
- Some copy-protected video files cannot be moved.
- Take care not to infringe the intellectual property of others.
- Video files cannot be copied or moved during playback.*
* Includes content playback using other features, such as playback of music files.
Copying or moving video to view on a PSP™ system
Copy or move video files to view them on a PSP™ system.
Connect the PSP™ system to the PS3™ system using a USB cable.
On the PSP™ system, select (Settings) > (USB Connection).
On the PS3™ system, select the video file you want to copy or move, and then press the button.
Select [Copy] or [Move].
- For information on playing video files on the PSP™ system, refer to the user's guide for the PSP™ system.
- Depending on the type of video file that you copy or move, you must use Memory Stick PRO Duo™ media.
- If the content is moved to the PSP™ system, it cannot be moved back to the PS3™ system.
- Video content recorded in HD resolution cannot be moved.