Using the wireless controller
Press the PS button on the controller, and then select a user.
- The first time you use the controller, you must perform device registration (pairing).
- You can use up to 4 controllers at the same time. When you press the PS button, a color is assigned to the user and the light bar lights up. The color that is assigned to the user depends on the order in which the users press the PS button. The first user is blue, the second is red, the third is green, and the fourth is pink.
Registering (pairing) a device
The first time you use a controller or when you want to use the controller on another PS4™ system, you must perform device registration (pairing). Connect the PS4™ system and the controller with a USB cable when the PS4™ system is turned on.
If you want to use 2 or more controllers, perform device registration for each controller.
When you connect the PS4™ system and the controller with a USB cable, the controller's battery is charged. The PS4™ system must be turned on or in rest mode. You can check the charge level of the battery on the screen that is displayed when you press and hold the PS button for at least 1 second.
While in rest mode, the light bar slowly blinks in orange. When charging is complete, the light bar turns off.
- It takes approximately 2 hours to charge the controller when the battery has no remaining charge.
- Charge the controller in an environment where the ambient temperature is between 10 °C and 30 °C (50 °F and 86 °F). You might not be able to efficiently charge the controller in other environments.
- Even when not using the controller for a prolonged period of time, completely charge it once a year to keep it functioning.
- Battery life varies depending on how you use the controller and the environment in which the controller is used and stored.
- To charge while the system is in rest mode, you must select an option other than [Off] in (Settings) > [Power Save Settings] > [Set Functions Available in Rest Mode] > [Supply Power to USB Ports].
Basic button operations
|PS button||Turn on the PS4™ system (when the PS4™ system is turned off or in rest mode).
Display the home screen (when the PS4™ system is turned on).
|PS button (double-press)||Switch between applications in use.|
|PS button (long press)||Close an application, log out, or turn off the PS4™ system.
Operations that you can perform are displayed. Available operations vary depending on the application.
|Directional buttons/Left stick||Select items.|
|button||Confirm the selected item.|
|button||Cancel an operation.|
|SHARE button||Display the menu for the Share feature.
For details, see "About Share".
|OPTIONS button||Display options.|
Basic touch operations
You can use the touch pad and the touch pad button to perform operations, depending on the content.
|Tap||Briefly touch the touch pad.|
|Double tap||Tap twice in rapid succession.|
|Drag||Drag your finger while touching the touch pad, and then lift your finger.|
|Flick||Touch the touch pad, and then sharply and quickly move your finger off the touch pad.|
|Touch and hold||Touch and do not lift your finger.|
|Pinch in and pinch out||Place 2 fingers on the touch pad and move them closer together or further apart.|
|Click||Press the touch pad button.|
|Double-click||Press the touch pad button twice in rapid succession.|
You can adjust settings such as the speaker volume of the controller and the vibration function.
Select (Settings) from the function screen and then select [Devices] > [Controllers].
- Audio such as chat audio or sound effects might be output from the speaker on the controller, depending on the game or application.
- You can adjust settings such as the speaker volume by pressing and holding the PS button for at least 1 second, and then selecting [Adjust Devices] on the screen that is displayed.