Using extended storage
You can use a USB storage device as extended storage to install your applications. You can also move applications from PS4™ system storage to extended storage.
Use a USB storage device that meets the following conditions.
- SuperSpeed USB or faster
- SuperSpeed USB 5 Gbps (USB 3.0/USB 3.1 Gen1/USB 3.2 Gen1)
- SuperSpeed USB 10 Gbps (USB 3.1 Gen2/USB 3.2 Gen2/USB 3.2 Gen1x2)
- SuperSpeed USB 20 Gbps (USB 3.2 Gen2x2)
- 250 GB minimum, 8 TB maximum capacity
The first time you use a USB storage device, you'll need to format it. Select a device to format in (Settings) > [Devices] > [USB Storage Devices], and then select [Format as Extended Storage]. When formatting is complete, the device is automatically set up as an install location for your applications.
- Connect the USB storage device directly to your PS4™ system to use it as extended storage. Do not connect to a USB hub.
- You can only use one extended storage device at a time.
- The following data is saved only to system storage, and cannot be saved to extended storage.
- Screenshots and video clips
- Saved data
- USB storage devices formatted as extended storage are also compatible with a PS5™ console.
- There is no guarantee that all USB storage devices are compatible with your system.
You can move saved applications between PS4™ system storage and extended storage.
- Select (Settings) > [Storage].
- Select the storage where the application you want to move is located, and then select [Applications].
- Press the OPTIONS button to select the destination, and then select the applications you want to move.
Changing the application install location
Select (Settings) > [Storage], and then press the OPTIONS button to select an install location in [Application Install Location].
Disconnecting extended storage devices
When you want to disconnect an extended storage device while your PS4™ system is on, use one of the following methods to ensure safe removal of the device.
- Select [Sound/Devices] > [Stop Using Extended Storage] on the quick menu.
- Select the extended storage device to disconnect in (Settings) > [Devices] > [USB Storage Devices], and then select [Stop Using This Extended Storage].
If you disconnect the extended storage device while the power indicator is lit or blinking, data might be lost or corrupted, and you might damage your system. Be sure to disconnect safely.