You can use DUALSHOCK™3 wireless controllers and DUALSHOCK™4 wireless controllers with your system. Up to 4* controllers can be connected at the same time.
- Some games can be used with only a certain number of controllers at one time. For details, see "Playing a game on a PlayStation®Vita card", "Playing a game for the PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) system on your system", "Playing PlayStation® format software on your system", and "Playing PlayStation®Mobile format software on your system".
Registering (pairing) a device
The first time you use a controller or when you want to use the controller on another system, you must perform device registration (pairing). Connect your system and the controller with a USB cable when your system is turned on, and then press the PS button.
- If you want to use multiple controllers, perform device registration separately for each controller.
- To use a controller with another device after you register the controller to your system, connect the controller to the other device using a compatible USB cable.
When you connect your system and the controller with a USB cable, the controller's battery charges. Your system must be turned on or in standby mode. You can verify the charge level of the battery in the quick menu that appears when you press and hold the PS button.
- Charge the controller in an environment where the ambient temperature is between 10 °C and 30 °C (50 °F and 86 °F). You might not be able to efficiently charge the controller in other environments.
- Even when not using the controller for a prolonged period of time, completely charge it once a year to keep it functioning normally.
- Battery life varies depending on how you use the controller and the environment in which the controller is used and stored.
Basic button operations
|PS button||Turn on your system, or display the LiveArea™ screen or home screen.|
(press and hold)
|Turn your system off, or adjust settings for the controller.
Operations that you can perform are displayed. Available operations vary depending on the situation.
|Directional buttons/Left stick||Select items.|
|button||Confirm the selected item.|
(press and hold)
|Cancel an operation, or close the LiveArea™ screen.|
About DUALSHOCK™4 wireless controllers
If the software manual or on-screen instructions refer to a SELECT button or START button, use the SHARE button and OPTIONS button, respectively. For details, see the following information:
- A )
- SHARE button
This is used instead of the SELECT button in some games.
- B )
- Touch pad/Touch pad button
The touch pad button functions when the touch pad is pressed.
- C )
- OPTIONS button
This is used instead of the START button in some games.
The speaker and stereo headset jack do not function with your system.