Using the wireless controller
Press the PS button on the controller, and then select a user.
- The first time you use a controller, you'll need to pair it with your PS4™ system.
- Up to four controllers can be used at the same time. When you press the PS button, the light bar will glow in a uniquely assigned color. The color that is assigned depends on the order in which each user presses the PS button. The first controller to connect is blue, the second is red, the third is green, and the fourth is pink.
Pairing a device
The first time you use a controller or when you want to use the controller on another PS4™ system, you'll need to pair it with the system. Connect the controller to your system with a USB cable while the system is on.
When you want to use two or more controllers, you must pair each controller separately.
The controller battery charges when you connect the controller to your PS4™ system with a USB cable. The system must be turned on or in rest mode. The charge level of the battery appears on-screen when you press and hold the PS button.
While the system is in rest mode, the light bar slowly blinks orange. When charging is complete, the light bar turns off.
- It takes approximately 2 hours to charge the controller when the battery has no remaining charge.
- Charge the controller when the temperature is between 10 °C and 30 °C (50 °F and 86 °F). You might not be able to efficiently charge the controller at other temperatures.
- You'll need to completely charge the controller at least once a year to keep it functioning properly.
- Battery life varies depending on how you use the controller and the environment in which the controller is used and stored.
- To charge while the system is in rest mode, select an option other than [Off] in (Settings) > [Power Save Settings] > [Set Features Available in Rest Mode] > [Supply Power to USB Ports].
Basic button operations
|PS button||Turn on your PS4™ system (when the PS4™ system is either off or in rest mode).
Display the home screen (when the PS4™ system is turned on).
|PS button (double-press)||Switch between applications in use.|
|PS button (long press)||Display the quick menu, with currently available commands and settings.|
|Directional buttons/Left stick||Select an item.|
|button||Confirm the selected item.|
|button||Cancel a command.|
|SHARE button||Display the menu for the Share feature.
For details, see “About sharing”.
|OPTIONS button||Display the options menu with currently available commands.|
Basic touch pad gestures
You can use the touch pad and the touch pad button for various system functions. Available functions depend on the content in use.
|Tap||Briefly touch the touch pad.|
|Double tap||Tap twice in rapid succession.|
|Drag||Drag your finger while touching the touch pad, and then lift your finger.|
|Flick||Touch the touch pad, and then sharply and quickly move your finger off the touch pad.|
|Touch and hold||Touch and do not lift your finger.|
|Pinch in and pinch out||Place two fingers on the touch pad and move them closer together or further apart.|
|Click||Press the touch pad button.|
|Double-click||Press the touch pad button twice in rapid succession.|
To change speaker volume and other controller settings, select (Settings) from the function screen, and then select [Devices] > [Controllers].
- Depending on the game or application, you might hear audio sound effects from the controller's speaker.
- You can also adjust the speaker volume and related settings by selecting [Sound/Devices] on the quick menu.
- DUALSHOCK™4 wireless controller
- Turning your PS4™ system on and off
- Use X (cross) Button for Enter